kitchen countertops

Nip and Tuck

My Appleton project can best be described as a house that just needed a little nip and tuck.  It was a great house, but just wasn't my client's style.  They brought me in at the very beginning and we made a plan!  This included paint colors, lighting changes, a new bathroom, kitchen updates and some much needed personality.  The biggest structural change was closing in a portion of the ceiling in the family room.  It was open to the second floor and was a total waste of space.  I also saw a ton of potential on the fireplace wall and had to close in that opening as well. Jennifer Taylor Design

Jennifer Taylor Design

Jennifer Taylor Design

What a difference, right?  We closed in the ceiling, added trim and gave the fireplace wall A LOT of personality!  Oh, but wait.  Let's look at the kitchen.  It got some design love as well.  The island was small and not functional; so we replaced it, painted all the cabinets, replaced the counters and added the best tile on the splash.  The tin behind the stove just wasn't working for us.

Jennifer Taylor Design

Jennifer Taylor Design

Jennifer Taylor Design

I don't know what I love more about this project.  My clients were a dream to work with and I can't wait for them to get all moved in.  I also can't wait to share more with you once I take some final photos.

Blog Signature



Chez Sois {take six}

Well, it's almost finished and anyone who has ever been a part of a construction or remodeling project knows there are always a few "hiccups" along the way.  Even with the best laid plans, things don't always come together as you hope and Chez Sois is no exception.

The kitchen selections were all done, but then the inevitable back order happened.  The accent tile wasn't available and the company couldn't even tell us when it would be.  With the counters already ordered, we made a safe decision by going with the mosaic version of what we already selected for the field tile on the splash.  This ended up being a much better choice than our first!

Here is what we originally picked out...

The quartz counters were white with a warm neutral veining, cabinets were white, main field tile was a white/gray marble and our accent tile (the sample leaning against the cabinet door) was going to tie it all in together.

Once everything was installed, my client just wasn't happy with the white counters.  She waited until everything was done before deciding, but it just wasn't working.  I'm proud of her for not just "living with it" and regretting it years later, but it was definitely a delay and expense we weren't counting on.  So, gray counters were ordered!  Thankfully, we were able to use the first set of counters on another project.

The new counters were installed last week and I took a quick picture before they had finished up...

And this is the only photo I have showing the original counters...

With all that was going on with our counters, the contractor made great progress on some of the trim details we had planned.  He was very patient with us in laying out the mantel and paneling on the walls so my client could envision everything he was going to do.  Here's how the mantel literally came to life this week...
Pencil drawings to get all the measurements worked out.

Then, the marble tile surround was installed.

And we are almost there.  Just needs a coat of paint and the new logs!
I will leave you with one last photo of the powder bath progress.  These rooms always end up being my favorite and I can't wait to show you the finished space!